Thursday, September 20, 2012

Adoption Option in the Philippines



I got overly excited with the prospect of adopting a child that as soon as we get an acknowledgment from an authorized agency with instructions as to what we need to prepare, I totally didn't realized that the first checklist requires that all applicants must be married for at least five (5) years. Sad that we have to wait for another year to even be eligible. But that didn't get me down. We'd still go through it a year from now (if our circumstances will not change). However, I widened my prospect by looking into adoption process in the Philippines.

I stumbled upon this blog: http://philippinesadoption.blogspot.com/ about a couple who started the adoption process in January of 2007 and in February of 2011, they got their bundle of joy. It's inspiring... but I can't help but feel dejected that the whole process requires that I be patient (patience is my Achilles tendon)... time is of the essence. I'm sure there are faster means to procure an adopted child (not going through the proper channel) but as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the guidelines for us seeking to adopt children is that we should "strictly observe all legal requirements of the countries (and their governmental subdivision) that are involved. [We] are encouraged to work through licensed, authorized agencies" (Church Policies 21.1.3).

I peruse further with how the couple got their adopted child through ICAB (Inter-Country Adoption Board) as we plan to bring our adopted child to Malaysia, and found their website http://www.icab.gov.ph very helpful. This is quite a long tunnel but it’s worth trying. I remember my visiting teacher Jessica who visited me last week and told me that it matters to God if I have done my best (with all the energy of heart) to work on what I desire most - children. The tragedy would be to blame Him for not giving me what I want but failed to do my best in extracting possible ways and means to have children in this world. Not being able to answer Him if He ask, "Joanah, have you done your best? Have you extracted all your resources?" would be shameful. If I can say yes to Him, then I will not be scared to face Him. And I shall be happy with my "incompleteness". This is truly my refiner's fire.

Anyways, in contrast to Malaysia's minimum of five years marriage, ICAB only requires three (3) which makes us eligible (I think it has been modified to minimum of one year provided some conditions are met - I have to research this one further). This is going to be a journey... I have high hopes in meeting the fertility doctor that was recommended to us by a close friend. We'll keep working on that one too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanah, how has this gone? My heart and thoughts are always with you. Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete